Saturday, August 16, 2014

Graphic Novel


This is such a cool graphic I wanted to try out because it shows how a stitch is made with a standard home sewing machine:

From Sewing Machine Steve's website
Isn't that just cool? It clearly show how the needle goes down and has to hit the gray "hook" that catches the thread to lock the upper thread with the lower bobbin thread together. Of course, the feed dogs are moving everything right along so it can be repeated over and over again. Sometimes when we know how something works we can figure out why it doesn't.

Let me tell you about Sewing Machine Steve's website, where I found the above animation. He restores vintage sewing machines and has all kinds of information about his process but the part that really blew me away was his explanation about why you should buy a vintage over a new sewing machine. Entry level sewing machines are going to start at $250. Those are bottom of the line and a good one is closer to $1000 for entry level. You can buy a refurbished vintage sewing machine for $100-250 and get a really good one that won't have to go back to the dealer. Ever. Keep it oiled and clean and it will keep running as there really is very little that goes wrong. If so, you can learn to repair them as I have. But Steve goes on to say that right away you are ahead by $1000 and will never need to trade up since you are already at the top of the line. I couldn't agree more. Thanks, Steve for making it all a bit clearer for me (and now you).

A bit of a set-back with the decals on the Singer 66. You do have to gently sand away the edges with 1000 grit wet/dry multi-surface sandpaper and it can be done. BUT it takes a long time to accomplish this. After thirty minutes tonight I had to go do something else! It's really tedious. Really. Tedious. I will have to keep at it if I ever want to see it finished. This procedure dulls the surface and I will have to clear coat again. And probably again. All of this is to remind anyone else that you do this out of a labor of love because you will never get out of it what you put into it. Glad this was my first project. These episodes on my blog are become more like a graphic novel. Here's a photo of the sewing machine with the sanding done:

Sanding the edges of the decals
Stay tuned as SMMavin gives it the ol' college try with one more layer of clear coat!

No comments: