The first is the sewing machine I've been using. With so many layers, ten when I'm sewing the binding on, I will no longer use one of my good but not sturdy enough sewing machines. I've tried my Viking 1100 with a walking foot and a Pfaff 1222 with the IDT built-in walking foot and felt like I was going to run each one of these machines right into the ground. Next up was a Singer 15-91 and a 201-2 and they were not going to burn up but they were struggling even showing some skipped stitches. This time I got out the portable industrial, a Consew CP-206R:
The second new thing I want to share with you is a technique that quilters have been doing for years but I'm new to this double binding effect. In the past I added the bias tape edging just like I was putting it on the edge of any cut edge using a two step process. First I would put on a single layer of the bias to the front of the item and then fold it to the back, pinning it in place, and hand sewing it on. It turned out nice but was pretty laborious, taking about 30 minutes per hot mitt.
|Step one: bias strip, single fold (ripped out later)|
|Step two: bias strip folded over to back and pinned in place|
|Step one: sew raw edges together|
|Step two: trim excess fabrics and fold over, sew in place without pins|
|Hot mitts in various stages of readiness|
It was also another big sale week with a church garage sale and more from Goodwill Outlet:
|and there is more...|
Next up will be my heart pot holder that I've been experimenting with various fabrics to piece little squares. Stay tuned!