Wednesday, June 11, 2014

...and the winners are...

Which sewing machines are kept and which ones are sold? This is a complex question with somewhat subjective answers that will be different for everyone. The sewing machines that I have more difficulty parting with always have a smoothness in how they sound, handle, stitch quality but also a bit of pzazz. In order of appearance on the scene they are:

Viking 1100
Even without a foot control (an extra $120) and only one stitch card, she handles beautifully, came with all her feet and accessories. This is my main sewing machine. Next up is a free vintage sewing machine:
Brother Select-o-Matic
This one came very complete with dozens of class 15 bobbins, a ruffler, 2 manuals (you are going to need them) and weighs about 40 pounds. That's what all metal does for you: builds muscle! Now I get to try our many Singers, even some Touch-and-Sew, but I fall in love with a Singer 401A:
Singer 401A
Complete in every way, even with a wood cabinet, she came very dirty and didn't mind it one bit. She is now in her own portable case and comes out to play when I need a sturdy sewing machine. Next I stick my neck out and try out a Pfaff:
Pfaff 1222
 I love the built-in walking foot for the quilted pot mitts, tea cozies, etc. but she can be a bit picky. I definately needed to read the manual to understand the many features and keeping her oiled is a must.

I tried a Necchi Julia, Bernina Record 730, Singer 221 Featherweight, Elna SU 62, many more Vikings, but my final electric sewing machine in a humble Singer 99K:
Singer 99K
I love the way she sounds, stitches, feels; she came from my neighbor in a cabinet but now lives in her own bentwood case with a handy carrying strap:

It would be nice if she were as light as a Featherweight or Kenmore 1030, but she's all metal and a hearty girl but she's a keeper in my eyes. Of course, I have an Elna Lock Pro5DC serger and a Kenmore 158-18130 (makes beautiful monograms), and there are 2 treadles upstairs, but these are the ones I'm sore to part with. At least until I discover I can't really use them all or my heart grows exceptionally large in giving them away.


No comments: