Thursday, May 24, 2018

It's Golden

Putting all of these sewing machines to use can sometimes be a challenge. I did manage to rescue some flour-sack type of towels from the Goodwill Outlet a few weeks ago but it was a mixed blessing. They came out of the dryer in such a wrinkled mess that I feared they were going to have to go to the rag pile. Deciding to see if they could be made useful, I pressed four of them only to find out the selvedge edge would get all stretched out. I tried hemming one of them and it just looked all distorted. I put it aside to give it some thinking time and came back to it with the following save: why not cut off the distorted part and hem again with a trimmed edge? I figured the trimmed edge would give it the weight it needed to keep it straight and true. Here's how it turned out:
Flour sack towels trimmed, using Franklin treadle

Which sewing machine did I use? The Franklin treadle I wrote about in Another Brother. I still have four more flour sack towels and this time I'm going to try to use rickrack trim, interwoven to give it a different look.
Flour sack towels trimmed with rickrack using New Home treadle
In another sewing project, I needed a jacket/coverup to go with a dress I planned to wear to a wedding. Actually, we had two weddings in one weekend so there was a parade of fashions and photos sent to sisters and daughters before the right outfits were settled on. A dark blue satin sheath dress with gold high heels really needed something....besides jewelry. I picked out some gold sparkly fabric that also was a stretch knit. At half price it was only $8 for the light weight jacket and an easy pattern, too. Using a serger would make it go quickly but I feared it was going to be scratchy with those exposed edges around my neck and on the inside of my arms. To the rescue: use organza bias strips to line the seams!
Organza bias strips over seams

It seemed like a good idea but wasn't as easy as it sounds. It was slippery stuff that didn't want to press flat but it finally was done:

Gold Jacket: McCalls 6084
It did the job by not showing too much and the jacket was not at all itchy. Success!
Happy Uncle Jim and Aunt Karen at the wedding dinner

No comments: