Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Bad Bernina Nova

Since I've been on a roll with Bernina's lately, I came across a deal for a Bernina Nova:
Bernina Nova with mustard colored accents
This model has intrigued me: smaller size, portable with built-in handle, wrap around case, all with the Bernina quality. How could I go wrong? Apparently, I do not learn from past mistakes because there are so many ways it could be unfixable and I just have not stumbled upon them...yet. But cute is cute and a deal was struck and it arrived. Once cleaned up and running I could see that it had great potential but there must be something wrong with the foot control because it was full speed ahead only. I took it apart to check and clean but it looked pretty normal even if it was a bit funky looking:
Bernina Nova foot control: funny hat style?
It reminded me of the Elna's with a bladder inside but it is not like that at all just different looking. I did more research and found a possible answer on the Bernina Facebook group. There is an electronic board inside with connections that are known to go bad over time. I looked at mine and although there was black residue it was hard to tell if it had gone bad:
Circuit board in place before repair: looks okay to me!
All was not lost because there was someone in Utah who repairs or replaces them for a reasonable charge. I got in touch with Neal, sent photos, and decided I needed to send my board to him. Then began the process of removal:
Connections to the motor
Tiny frail parts that nearly broke off
Black gunk where the board sits: this doesn't look good
Other side of board once removed
I took photos because I feared I wasn't going to be able to put it back together again! It took only a week or so and Neal confirmed it was done and sent it back once I paid for the repair plus shipping. It arrived and I pulled up those photos and reassembled it. Even with the photos it was difficult to figure out but I put it all back to the best of my ability, plugged in the machine and gingerly tried the foot control....and it worked! No more racing foot control, stitches were perfect, and we have a winner!

This was such a relief since a good machine like this deserves to be used and even electronics can sometimes be repaired. It would be a nice skill to learn but, for now, I am very satisfied to send parts out for repair. I titled this post "Bad Bernina Nova" but the model itself is not bad, just the circuit board went bad. With Neal's expert help, it is now fully healed and looking for a new home. That's a win-win in my book. Here's a peek at the carrying case:
Portable case with handle from machine showing
Inside case: extra presser feet and other accessories
That's portable! Although not really heavy like the Bernina Record models, it is portable with the handle but still not lightweight. An excellent sewing machine and as good as new so I am very satisfied. How about you? Do you have a Bernina success story to share? I would love to hear it!


4 comments:

BarbaraShowell said...

I had no idea circuit boards could be fixed. My dearly departed kenmore, perhaps. I still miss that machine, she was a workhorse until the board went dead dead dead.

Anonymous said...

I live in Utah and have a circuit board issue with my Bernina. Can you tell me how to get in touch with Neil?

Karen said...

I found Neil through the Vintage Bernina Facebook group. Please send me an email so I can give you his info.

Unknown said...

Hvilken søm brukes til jerseystoffer på bernina nova?