Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Whiplash

In my last post I discussed a new industrial walking foot sewing machine and this post is about a very old treadle sewing machine, mainly about the beautiful cabinet. I call that whiplash as we jump centuries in these two back to back posts. That is how it is with vintage sewing machines: sometimes it is all about power and other times it's about not using power. Here's the beauty I want to show you today:
Singer parlor cabinet before cleaning
I have written about treadle parlor cabinets before since I have owned quite a few and continue to love them and this one was no exception. The quality of the cabinet and the overall condition made this an easy purchase. Cleaning it up with a bucket of water and Murphy's Oil Soap was necessary, especially the metal works that had some sort of a white residue. Next I used my faithful Howard's Feed & Wax, a polish and wood conditioner that does wonders. There was a dark ring on the top leaf but it cleaned up pretty good: it's still there but much less noticeable. With all of the little wood carvings added onto the doors, including the door pulls themselves, I used an old toothbrush to work the wax into the crevices.

So much storage! So many places to clean!
Like most old wood furniture, it was very dry and just needed to get lubricated again and it was worth the effort.
Snger parlor cabinet clean and waxed
It came without a sewing machine so I took a look at my stock and found a Singer 66, Red Eye decals, that only needed to have a few parts added. I must have stripped parts off for another machine but it now has the handwheel back and the bobbin cover slide plate and spring functioning again. I still need to take the leather treadle belt off and make adjustments for the different machine in the cabinet and then she will be ready to show (or show off).
Singer parlor cabinet with Singer 66 Red Eye treadle
This came via Craigslist and when I saw the location I had to chuckle: could this be the same person I also got another parlor cabinet from? Gary confirmed he was the same one who sold me another cabinet. This time he not only delivered, as before, but brought both parlor cabinets he advertised. He was more than happy to meet up again and we had a nice conversation about treadles and industrial sewing machines. I continue to say I meet the nicest people in my sewing machine business. Here's the second cabinet he brought over:
Before cleaning and oh so nice!
Isn't it about perfect? I also cleaned it up with Murphy's and Howard's Feed & Wax but still have some work to do on it. It is such an interesting cabinet with the entire top with rails and felt flips open. There are small pull out drawers in the top of the doors and another set of larger drawers hidden inside. This takes a smaller head than a typical Singer, a Davis or Minnesota and I have neither. I tried a smaller New Home but it wasn't quite right but, never fear, Goodwill auction is here! I'm picking up a Davis machine in a treadle and I hope it is the right one. If I can't switch them out the Davis is still a wonderful machine and possibly a decent cabinet. When I have it all together I can post a final photo. I am very excited to have such an unusual cabinet in near perfect condition.

Does anyone know the name of either of these cabinets? I would love to know!

No comments: