Friday, August 18, 2017

Maker Space

My work in a college library sometimes takes me down some interesting paths. Maker Spaces are a new term that has been coined to describe a place where ideas can become reality. Three D printers were the start of this kind of movement and it has grown to include all kinds of equipment and supplies. Our Maker Space includes a green screen, recording equipment, computers and special software, button making machine, manual typewriters, and even a sewing machine. Enter stage left, a Singer 237 from the Sculpture Department of the Art Department:
Singer 237 in table
It was full of plaster dust but with cleaning it came out working just fine. It's not too fancy but it does have zigzag and the feed dogs can drop and that was basically what we were looking for.  I made up the instruction sheets that are taped to the wall in the above photo and brought in a few basic supplies that we keep in a make-up tackle box and a common paper box:
Singer 237 with supplies
Free motion embroidery was practiced and I finally claimed some success by using a spring-loaded presser foot:
Darning foot with spring worked the best
So how was I going to demonstrate what this set-up could do? Enter Pinterest with so many ideas on free-motion sewing that I could hardly decide.  With much practice and some fabric from home I came up with the idea of making a tote bag, something our students might find useful. With my two samples of free motion stitching (I can hardly call them embroidery), I used the cat as a pocket and the vase as contrasting decoration for each side of the bag. Enter a serger:
Serger on loan with sewing machine at the back wall
for sturdy stitching and to give some interest in using this kind of a tool. Here are a few of the steps I took:
Front and back laid out with straps ready to be sewn down
Bias strips encased the top edge with long straps from top to bottom.
Stitching the cat pocket over the strap
The cat pocket was sewn on last right next to the rolled edge made on the serger.
Serger seam for strength and durability
I had to serger one edge twice because the first pass was made without the presser foot down. Yikes! We all make mistakes.
Tote bag side one

Tote bag side 2 with pocket
I can't say it was simple but it was creative and a way to show many skills at once, the types of sewing and serging that would be available. I'm hoping this is interesting to our students who might have their own ideas for bags or pillows or whatever they might be thinking about sewing. Now we wait for students to return from summer break and see what interest they might have in the Maker Space. You just never know when your "other" skills might be used while you are on the job!

No comments: