Wednesday, April 3, 2019

These Boots Were Made For Walking

I've been sewing up a storm in anticipation of a new granddaughter coming in May. Elly had been making these great boots that were so very cute so I bought the pattern, too, and went to work:
6-9 months size in flannel

6-9 months size in fleece
They weren't too difficult when making the larger sizes but somehow I had difficulty picturing them on my spring birthday granddaughter. She wouldn't need to keep her feet warm for many months so what she needed were baby shoes instead. I found a free pattern that I adapted to work for me:
Boots in the back row and shoes in the front
The inside edge was just trimmed close and I thought it looked too raw so I practiced with bias tape to make a finished edge that would look clean but also not bother tender little feet:
Inside out with bias tape binding

The color choices and combinations were endless but then I decided they needed to be in all three sizes:

And then the larger size needed to have grippy soles. Since a shower date was coming up soon I needed to finish up and decide which ones would be part of the gift and which ones would be the start of a new product line for the fall craft sales. I got a little crazy and made up a sparkly pair:
See the white grippy soles on this pair?
It was all so much fun and then I arranged in a basket (suggestion courtesy of other daughter) and wrapped with inspiration from Pinterest:
Baby shoe wardrobe

Wrapped up with socks on a clothesline
For any other baby gift I would have given a bib, burp cloth, and shoes as a set but my daughter makes burp cloths herself so wouldn't be needing any so the shoe wardrobe seemed appropriate. A good time was had by all and even a parting photo of my daughters with me:
Karen, Alison, and Kelly

We are blessed!


No comments: