Saturday, March 30, 2019

Good and Bad Coming in 3's

It's been too long since I posted and I fear all of my readers have left me but here's a refresh and getting back into the saddle again. Sewing machines have been coming in the door like an avalanche! We had a record snow year for us in Minnesota and it appears it has brought out the "clean-it-out" bug in many. It all started with a Singer 301.

Betsy responded to my ad and said they were tired of their crappy new Singer breaking down every time they wanted to use it. As it turns out, they were going over to Grandma's house to use her Singer 301 so why not just get one of their own? That sounded like a good idea to me, too, but when she came and saw all of my other machines she asked if I would be interested in a few more. After photos were sent they came a week later with these gems:
Singer 1507
The Singer 1507 is not one of my favorites but I think all that was wrong was using the wrong bobbin. This is a frequent error and I'm ready to suggest when you get a new sewing machine to check the bobbins and if they are a different type mark them in some way and keep them separate from the others. I have bobbins with pink nail polish dots on them: maybe that was one woman's marking system?
Singer 6110
This Singer 6110 seemed to be okay, at first, but it had not been used in so long that some of the functions were no longer working. I could not get the dial to move to engage the stretch stitches. Even after giving it a nice oiling and cleaning out it didn't budge. The old trick of walking away worked: by the next day I could get the knob to move into the stretch stitch zone and all worked well again. As it turns out, this is a pretty decent sewing machine. I even made a zippered bag since it did not have a built in carrying handle:

Singer carrying bag with vinyl bottom and zippered top

And now to the cabinet model, a Singer 66 in a compact cabinet.
Singer 66 with no decals, c1910
This was originally a treadle machine since it has a spoked hand wheel but the treadle mechanism had been stripped out and the whole thing was painted a ghastly green. The exterior was stripped and I think the wood veneer was  removed but I'm hoping I can clean it up when it gets warmer. The sewing machine itself might be a bit plain but she is running again and shows much promise.
Love those compact cabinets

Inside painted green: pretty dingy!
As if that wasn't enough, I answered an ad for three Pfaff 1222's. Who would have three of the same model? Someone with a drapery business who needs the even feed of the Pfaff IDT system, that's who. She did not want all of the bells and whistles of a newer Pfaff and these old ones kept breaking down. In my optimism I took all three and hope to be able to fix the wandering straight stitch and other signs of worn down mechanisms.

If course, I have been working on repairs, too. Natalie had her machine back again and we determined it was fine, it just needed to have the bobbin race and ring removed and set back in place. I had another machine come in for what was suspected a shot motor. Nope, the motor was good but there were other adjustments and cleaning that took place to get it running good again. Her New Home sewing machine had been a gift from her mother-in-law years ago and it had sentimental value so it was worthwhile to have it running "extra fine" again.

There were more, such as a Kenmore 385-1764180 that was in great condition, and a Bernina 730 in a cabinet that came without any feet from an estate sale. Neither were free but were affordable and great models to have. It's getting crowded again so I better get selling so we have room to walk!

No comments: