Friday, March 15, 2019

Paneled in Christmas

I continue to work on panels I have picked up for a song and hope I haven't created a monster. I like to think I run with themes in mind in my interests and activities: sometimes it's vintage, sometimes it's industrial, sometimes it's sergers.. you get the idea. After working on the Cabin-in-the-Woods quilt, I got out a series of printed panels with a Christmas in the barnyard theme:
Barnyard Christmas panels

There is only one print, just a mirror image of it and there were twenty two panels so I needed to come up with something to use them up. Not a quilt this time since there is really only one panel, but may be tote bag? My first effort came up with a decent bag with a zippered opening, lined, snaps on ends to snug it up or open it up:
First bag with zippered closing

Snaps on ends
It turned out good but feels a bit flimsy, like it needed something to stiffen it up. Batting? Quilting it into layers? Ah, how about making my own reversible quilted fabric? On the first bag I took the border print and used it for the short/narrow sides but this time I used the border for the bottom that the bag will sit or stand on. I can then quilt the sides separately from the bottom to give it the strength it needs and an area of separation. So I set the panels as I like and measure out the batting and red backing fabric and get to quilting. Each panel gets an outline or box around the main part of the design and then I draw lines to fill in the design with a diamond pattern:
Panels assembled and quilted
The bottom gets the same treatment:
Close up of the finished bottom
Now it's ready to sew up the sides, flat fell the side seams, and box the bottom. I love to finish off the seams with bias or some other way to conceal the cut edges:
Flat-felled seams for a neat interior
The top edge was trimmed and the red lining fabric was folded over to the front for a colorful top edge. The handles were added but I had to use white since my stash of webbing currently does not include red. I may have to change that. I think I like it but it seems too tall to me but that just might be personal taste.
Bag #2 quilted
Which sewing machine did I use? I tried my newest machine, the Adler 153A but without a walking foot it was not going well so I got out my reliable Pfaff 1222 with the built in even feed system, their IDT, for near perfect results. There were a few lines of stitching that had to be pulled out and at the very end I decided to let a few pass and now I regret not having higher standards. I tell myself that it was my first try at this model but who am I kidding? I just got tired of it and wanted it finished. Note there is no zipper  closure or even a Velcro tab but I might have to consider that on another one. That begs an answer to the question will-I-make-another-one? It took way to long to do the quilting but it did give me a chance to practice making straight lines. Stay tuned to another post where I use more of those panels!

No comments: