Wednesday, April 24, 2019

A Bag for a Bernina

The baby Bernina story continues with a new foot control and a custom bag for carrying:
Sewing machine tote bag from McCalls 4119 pattern
I've had this pattern for making sewing accessories for some time now and wanted to find just the right machine to use the tote pattern so this one was going to be "it". It was different than the tote bags I have been making for sewing machines since it was designed with a rectangular base and matching zippered opening:
Opening slot for the handle
There was even an optional opening for a handle that looked like a good idea. I found my fabric to coordinate with the Bernina Sport 801 along with a bright and jazzy lining:
Bag lined
The only thing I was missing was fusible fleece so I substituted a firmer fusible interfacing on the lining. It does seem pretty firm and stands up on its own but I think I should have used one of the firmer products...next time. I like how it turned out until I put the machine down inside and found out it was too tall: I couldn't grab the handle on the sewing machine. To the rescue, I found a box that would fill the bottom for some good support and raise up the whole machine so the handle could be grabbed:
Fiberboard box for accessories
Even better, that box can hold the accessories! Now this is a real win-win.
Bernina Sport 801 resting on the accessory box
This will be a very sweet deal for someone with a vintage Bernina, new power cords, and a custom carrying/storage bag.

Yet the Bernina story goes on. Next time I went to the thrift store I found a Kenmore in okay shape and while I debated with myself I found a green suitcase that looked like the classic Bernina case. I lifted it up and it was heavy...and when I opened it up there was a Bernina Record 730 inside. I am not kidding, a Bernina in with the suitcases. Of course, it went home with me! There were no power cords or a foot control but everything seemed to be moving so I fired it up and found some binding. Wouldn't you know it, the camstack gear had a crack in it but that's not so bad so I ordered a new one. Once I have it up and running again I'll order a new set of cords and she will be in business:

Bernina Record 730
This was just so exciting to find all of these Bernina's in decent shape with inexpensive repairs needed. It's a Bernina season, to be sure!

Were you wondering if I bought the Kenmore I found before the Bernina? I thought about it for about ten seconds and said nope, I better stick with what I've got. Blessings all around!




1 comment:

Eve V. said...

You make it sound easy to replace that gear? Please take lots of pictures for me if you do it. Thanks for taking us along on your adventures.