Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Reading Time

I frequently get asked "How do you find the time to do all of this?" in reference to my sewing and sewing machine business. Part of me wants to just shrug and say "I don't know!" but when I really think about it I realize I have given some things up that I used to do that have given me the time to squeeze all of this in. Television watching on a regular basis is one of the things I no longer do; I used to watch about two hours per evening, including the news and now I only catch the news a couple of times a week and watch nothing else on a regular basis. That gives me about ten hours per week for sewing and such. My knitting has taken a big hit since I used to knit while enjoying my favorite shows but I still pick up my knitting when I can and even made a sweater in the last couple of years.

Next up is reading for recreation; I used to keep a database of my reading and listening books until a computer crash got me out of step with that practice. Now I listen to books on CD, streaming is up next, I think. I could easily keep a list of books read and listened to on Air Table where I keep my sewing machine inventory. There are many lists I could keep on Air Table to make life easier but then I would have to actually get it all set up, blah blah blah. Isn't it funny when we know we should do something to our benefit and still procrastinate? So now most of my reading is for business purposes but I do enjoy some magazines. Threads is one I have kept up with via the public library but this year I lucked out on an annual subscription for only $10. Sometimes it's just nice to have a paper copy, even if I will eventually cut it up or donate. I also have one of their archive issue CD's that I can reference back issues and it has been a space saver.

From one of the groups I belong to that sells used sewing related items, I recently bought the entire set of Classic Sewing magazine. I bought one issue last year and loved it but it's way to expensive to subscribe but then the sewing fairies smiled down on me and an offer of all of their issues for less than the cost of one year. They are beautiful, high quality photos, heavy paper, good writing, and each one comes with a free pattern.
Classic Sewing, patterns and magazines

Will I make any of these creations? I think so, especially since my newest grandchild will be a girl (can't wait until spring this year!).

We are now in a very deep freeze so all schools were called off and even the college library has been closed. For two glorious days indoors I'm going to finish up my block-of-the-month blocks for Saturday, find ways to use some fabric panels in quilting or bag making, make some homemade soup, and defrost the upright freezer. What better time to put all of the freezer contents into baskets and then into the garage while the freezer in unplugged. I can't wait to get it all clean again!

Just to show off one of the machines I have, the quilt blocks are being sewn on this little beauty, a hand crank Harris:
Harris Hand Crank all shined up

It has a transverse shuttle which gave me problems when I first learned to use one but the Harris is a gem and works great. A hand crank sewing machine lets you stop on a dime since you are going fairly slow plus it is just so much more fun! Here are a few of the blocks, jars and flowers last time and letters this month:

Completed blocks with those in the making
Stay safe and warm inside, friends, if you are part of this killing cold; it will be a great time to catch up on a few projects and even get some extra sleep, I hope!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like the "Classic Sewing" magazine with patterns, but it is pricey. I am trying to get motivated to sew five granddaughter Easter dresses, but I have not found a suitable pattern yet. I too like sewing on my handcranks!

John Thomas in NC