Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Summer Sun-Time

We really appreciate our summers here in the cold north, especially with longer daylight and wonderful sunsets. It's a little more difficult to stay inside to sew or work on sewing machines but on milder days I work in the garage getting some of those cabinets in shape and ready for someone else to enjoy. Beside being very excited about some motor switching on an industrial sewing machine, I've had the chance to pick up a Bernina Sport 802 that came in a very old compact cabinet that just wasn't right:

Metal flanges where hinges should be
The old hinges were removed and the substitute metal pieces were screwed in to hold the machine aloft. It was pretty weird so I took the Bernina out, to be sold as a portable like it is, and took the compact cabinet back to its original glory:
Compact cabinet now with an Elna SU62
I had the perfect machine to go in it, an Elna SU62, a very well worn machine that someone was going to toss as written in earlier post Cabinets Again. The Elna came in a table with a mounted foot control with a motor block, one of those outlets that has markings for a motor plug and a light plug. That was not what the Elna used so it seemed a shame to keep it in the wrong table. Voila! It is now in the compact cabinet with a fun chair that fits up into it snuggly. I found some fabric that complimented the light blue top on the Elna and covered the seat after adding more padding. The cabinet cleaned up rather nice with Howard's Feed & Wax so she is ready for her new home.
Elna SU62 in its new home

Compact cabinet with recovered seat on chair
While perusing the thrift stores I found a pink sewing machine that sorely tempted me but it was in a big ol' cabinet and I just couldn't face another one so here's what I did. I promised myself I could buy it at 40% off, on Senior Day, if it was still there in four days. It was not there on Senior Day so I could walk away with a clear conscience, that is until I found another cabinet. That's right, I found one without a sewing machine but with a sharp edged opening of a Kenmore. Taking a photo and heading home, I was glad I didn't have the right vehicle with me so I could think about this one. Of course, I have a Kenmore that has needed a table or cabinet but this one exceeded my list of requirements:
Kenmore cabinet
Good lines, solid wood, excellent condition...would the Kenmore 158-161 fit? My husband went back with me on Member Discount day and I hauled in that very heavy all metal sewing machine to find out if it would fit. Perfect! At 25% off it was a deal.

Once again, I cleaned up the desk (table with drawers?) with Howard's Feed & Wax only to find it had been refinished along the way. Doesn't it look great with the Kenmore model 61? That is one very nice machine, similar to one of my first Kenmore's that was frozen but I got working again, an early career victory that got me hooked on sewing machine restoration. They are quite heavy though, so I suggest a cabinet, not a portable case.
Kenmore 158-161
Kenmore 61 in new cabinet/desk/table
Of course, I've been sewing, too, making up tote bags for sergers with rope enclosed in those handles:
Wide nylon webbing with rope sewn in

Finished bag with serger tucked inside
The mangle got into the act with pressing the fabrics so very flat and smooth; there's a definite learning curve in learning how to best use this large rolling iron! When we had a cool night over the weekend we actually had a fire in our portable fire kettle:
New patio, new fire kettle

Enjoying those Minnesota sunsets and hope you are getting outside, too.

No comments: