Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Getting Ready

It sometimes feels like I'm always getting ready for one thing or another: a sale, cleaning out, a show/event/class. When I was home last week I spent so much time getting ready and now you will get a peak at what I accomplished.

Industrial sewing machine for sale: that's right, I finally got the servo motor attached and running, the table refinished, and the whole thing ready for sale. It is so nice now, a great Singer 31-15 in a well-worn but sturdy industrial table with light attached, quiet and adjustable servo motor, ready to work like a dog in someones home and out of my garage. Swapping out the motors was fairly easy but it wasn't a perfect fit so I had to drill out new holes and that is something I'm not particularly good at. The table was thoroughly sanded, stained in natural, with three coats of satin polyurethane. I'm quite proud of this beast and wish I could now keep her but she must make someone else happy now.
Singer 31-15
Servo motor (cords have been secured since this photo)
While I am working out in the garage, I have a Kenmore table refinished now with a good Kenmore model 158-13250 all ready for sale. I really hate to put time into these cabinets but cannot bear to sell them with such a poor finish so my loss is the buyers gain:

The Mod Podge project went on to phase two after the first attempt was less than satisfying with somewhat sticky results.I was trying to add a design to burlap as noted in Sewing4Free but not sure I'm satisfied yet. Although I did get it to feel dry, eventually by using my iron with a pressing cloth, it feels gummy although it is not sticky. It looks okay but not sure I want to spend the time or money on a project like this again. I can stencil on plain burlap just as well and even have some nice printed burlap that made up a cute tote bag. Still loving making those handles out of rope!
Burlap bags on ends with Mod Podge bag in center
The quilters I have been working with are having a do-it-yourself sale on Saturday and that has given me the opportunity to clear out some fabric I know I will not be using. Besides selecting, each gets measured, labeled, and bagged so it is all ready to go. There's a big bag of free items but most of it is still only a dollar or two. I have a few choice machines to bring along so maybe it will wet someone's appetite to adding a vintage sewing machine to their collection.
Bags of fabric all labeled for sale or giveaway

Modern Sparrow 30 and antique Singer 99's
Now time is at a premium and I need to sew up a huge batch of hot mitts if I'm going to be ready for the three craft fairs I plan on selling my goods at. So many are cut out and I have the batting and insulating filler in abundance so I need to chain myself to the industrial walking foot machine and get sewing!

No comments: