Friday, August 31, 2018

Maintaining Good Will

Despite my dim view of some brands of newer sewing machines, I have to make exceptions from time to time. For instance, I have an embroidery machine, a Singer Quantum XL-6000 that I wrote about in Revised Opinion, that is fantastic and enjoys a great reputation. Modern Singers have a wide price point so you can bet you get what you pay for: one lesson to learn is a cheap Singer will sew adequately but do not expect it to last. If something goes wrong, there is no repair, just toss it. This goes against my principles so I generally will not buy this type of machine. But then they have their higher end models, like my embroidery machine, and they are pretty sweet. Last night I sat down with a Singer Quantum CXL and got a pleasant surprise. It worked pretty well and was even a bit intuitive (I'll still download and print a manual).
Singer Quantum CXL
Before I bid on this one, I checked out reviews and parts to find there was something odd about the foot control. It had a different connection than most and they were no longer making them nor a substitute. Without a foot control, how could I hope to use it? Checking a free manual online via Singer, I could see there was a feature of using a button for control so possibly no need for a foot control. I also saw a very neat way they stored the accessories with a slide out tray on the right side of the machine, similar to the Elna 5000-9000 series.  My last twenty second bid was successful and it was mine! Would it be a yea or a neigh? I went to pick it up yesterday and the first thing I checked was that accessory tray: it was there and complete!
Slide out accessory tray with smoked plastic cover up
 With an extra electrical cord, I plugged it in and it worked! It is going to take a some practice in using the controls with just my hands but others do this and I think there is a population that likes this choice.
Singer Quantum CXL: red button for stop and start: easy!
Before I pick up my winning bid item, I went next door to the outlet and it turned into my very lucky day. My little eye spied a Viking case and I hoped it would have a model 21 inside. Not only did it have that prized model but it was clean and fully loaded:
Husqvarna Viking model 21

Inside the suitcase was the extension table, original manuals, stitch wheel, original accessory box with double layers for everything essential:
Double layer accessory box
There was a Viking booklet with sewing ideas dated 1959 so there were varieties of aprons, table decor, even bath "wrap-arounds." The machine itself is amazingly clean so I'm guessing it was gently used. It needed to be run plus the needle position lever was stuck on the right, very fixable. What a great find and all on the way to pick up another deal. I love this business!
Viking 21 manuals, booklets, and stitch wheel

No comments: