Friday, April 29, 2016

Step It Up

Upon returning from Ray White's basic sewing machine repair class, it seemed to be raining...sewing machines! There were several I was hoping to bid on and many more in the local Craigslist ads. But these weren't the usual Brother and Kenmore models but Bernina and Elnas and oh so nice they are.
Bernina 1001
Here's the Bernina I acquired after the first caller was not able to make an appointment. I was surprised that I was next but it does happen that first callers can't always follow through. It's a Bernina! Model 1001 was not one I had before so I was anxious to see how it would stitch and how it might be different than the Record 530, 730, and 830 that I've had. It did not disappoint: smooth running and the stitches are perfect. Here's the story behind this one: an aunt gave this young mother her own beloved Bernina in hopes of the young mother learning to use it but she had no interest and it just looked too hard. After four years of sitting in the closet they decided it was time to move this sewing machine on to a new home. When we plugged it in and ran it the comment was "wow, it's so quiet" and that lead me to believe they had never even used it. Complex? There was a print manual included and a nice canvas cover with two pockets. Yea, not even plugged in or used but their loss is my gain.
Stitch Selection
In order to pay for this little lovely I figured it was time to sell some of mine so I got out my Bernina Record 830 to sell. It was such a beautiful sewing machine, hardly a speck on it, a nice variety of presser feet, ten genuine Bernina bobbins, and the knee lift lever all in the nifty bright red suitcase.
Bernina 830 all packed up



Bernina 830 with extension table


 I had a tiny moment of weakness as I was taking photos but I knew it was time. Only a couple hours after listing it I got a phone call and Barb was ready to set up a meeting. Really, I bought the Bernina 1001 at 5 pm and sold the Record 830 at 8 pm. Barb was so happy to try it out since her mother-in-law was an avid quilter and used a Bernina. So what was the big deal? Barb's Singer was on its way out and she thought it was a good opportunity to move up to a Bernina. And she was not disappointed. The feeding of the fabric was something noted and it's overall feel was a big plus. I printed out a manual, thanks to Ray and his disk of manuals, so she could identify the various feet and how they would work, and note all of the little differences in a Bernina in comparison to a Singer. The knee lever for the presser foot lift was a big surprise and we both hoped she could learn to make it part of her sewing.
Haven't heard of this feature? Here's the Bernina explanation:

The knee-operated presser foot lifter raises the presser foot and while lowering the feed dog. This creates significantly more space and noticeably improves clearance under the presser foot, which in turn facilitates fabric handling. This saves you time and helps you achieve perfect results.  During this process, your hands remain free to continue guiding the fabric. The result is smooth, neat seams on needlework, garments, and home furnishings. 

I was almost as excited as she was to get such a classic sewing machine and put it to good use right away. Dinner might be take out for the rest of the week at Barb's house.
Bernina 830 stitch selection
 I was glad to see the Bernina 830 go out to a woman who already did a lot of sewing because she was really going to love it. Besides, I still have a Bernina 807 Minimatic and now the 1001 so I'm hardly without a Bernina to sell. Next up will be the story of the three Elnas so stay tuned!


1 comment:

MIchaelC said...

Wow. Love those machines