Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Getting Ready and Making Do

It's been a great week of warm weather but we know it won't last so I've been getting the last of the cabinets finished up and posted for sale. The garage needs to be cleared out to get both cars in before snow arrives and in Minnesota that means November. Here's my latest adventure with cabinets and their machines. 

A few weeks ago I had refinished one of my favorite cabinets that I wrote about in Singer Restored Plus a Garage Sale and I no more than sold it and I bought another one. It's all refinished now but there is a problem with the cabinet when I switched sewing machines. It came with a Singer 500 that is very nice but not really the right machine for a cabinet of this era. Doesn't this table look like a treadle but without the treadle mechanism?

School Desk table
When refinished I wanted to put a Singer 15-91 into it but there was a problem: a gap between the machine and the edge of the cabinet. Usually there is a metal plate and spring mechanism installed but this one did not have that nifty addition. I even have one in my stash of parts but it didn't fit the opening correctly. What's a body to do about that? First we went to Walmart and, using measurements, combed the aisles looking for a storage compartment that would fit. You have to give my husband credit for helping me in the search but we didn't find a good container. Back home I search my own collection of boxes without finding anything. Then I thought about how I have made up paper boxes so I looked at my stash of mailing supplies and found a box that was close in size. I could cut it down and reshape it to fit

Box in the making

I covered it with wood grain Duck Tape and set it into place
Box to fill in the gap

It is held in place by the front lip which only holds it in place until the machine is folded down but there are 4 drawers for holding supplies and one can be for this box. This is not a perfect solution but seems like a viable alternative to a gaping hole. The new owner can either use it or toss it away.
Singer 15-91 with box in place
The Singer 15-91 in the table is in nearly mint condition with excellent decals and finish. Someone is going to get a real showpiece.
Singer 15-91 in school desk table
I love the classic look of the post-treadle cabinet/table with a traditional black Singer sewing machine. Who wouldn't want to sit down and sew with this beauty?

I've been busy sewing up clothes for my 8 year old granddaughter, Emma, who requested a jumpsuit. Using a vintage pattern from the '60's

Butterick 4919

I made up a short version in a nice knit that she loved but she requested one longer so I made up an orange version that she picked out!
Butterick 4919 in longer length

It was way too plain for me so we dressed it up with leaf buttons
 Jumpsuit with button trim and leaf zipper pull
and a zipper pull with one more red leaf. She loved the zipper pull on the last one, just a circle of the fabric stitched down, so this one also gets a cool zipper pull. Another shirt was finished up and now grandma is finished making clothes for Emma for a little while. It's fun that she still likes this effort of mine but she's a bit fussy so it might not last long. I'll take what I can get besides there are plenty of other grandchildren to sew and knit for; the joys of a big family!



3 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have a cabinet like that one in my kitchen. It came with a 201 in it. Good work around.

Unknown said...

Sand me price

Karen said...

Sorry, but I cannot send you any information without your email or other contact information.
Karen