Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Rainy Days

 As the days grow shorter, cooler, and more rain days arrive, I decided I needed to make a raincoat. Actually, I bought a raincoat pattern and just wanted to try it out:

Amy Butler Rainy Days raincoat pattern
In my stash of fabrics I had a vinyl coated print, like the ones you can buy on a roll at Walmart or Hobby Lobby, and it kept calling to me. Matching it up with something for lining was a bit tricky if I wasn't going to buy something new but there was a pink cotton that would work. All cut out and in a stack of projects, it finally came up as the next one and I tackled it over a couple cool days last week. At first all was fine and I liked the pattern with decent instructions but not as many illustrations as I'm used to. They has you make the lining as you went through all of the coat steps so when you were done with the coat you were simultaneously done with the lining and just had to sew them together. I tried the coat on without the lining and it was too tight so once the lining was added it would not be wearable. Solution? I could reduce the size of the side and sleeve seam to give another inch all around (that's a quarter inch on each side of the seam times four) and that seemed better but not great. I set it down and went to bed, settling on giving the coat away when done. Tackling it the next day by inserting the lining, hemming, adding buttons, and a final press (the holes in the vinyl did shrink when using a warm iron and pressing cloth over the vinyl), I tried it on without long sleeves underneath
On my way out to face the rain?
and it fit! Get out! I'm not sure quite how that happened but finishing it up gave it more room and made it wearable. I would make it again but in a larger size and might reconsider using vinyl fabric: it's somewhat stiff and HOT to wear but it will keep the rain off. I also adjusted the hood since most of them are just huge on my head so the custom fit made it nice, too. Live and learn so this might just be my muslin (trial) and I'll use better fabric for the next one. 

Which sewing machine did I use? Actually, there were two machines set up for this one with a Kenmore getting a spa treatment that needed to be run for awhile. It had the cream thread for the vinyl and then I set up my Viking D1 with pink for the lining. As I worked through the steps for the coat I could just do the lining at the same time without having to re-thread over and over again. I did use the buttonhole stitch using the D1 and it handled the slippery fabric just fine. Check out these vintage buttons

Pale yellow transparent buttons
I've also been working on posting more sewing machines for sale and getting the garage work finished up. I bought a Bernina 801 that needed a motor swap and although that worked out fine now there are problems with stitch width. I'll keep working on it and post the results when I'm finished.

School has started up here and we are stopping over to monitor grandchildren on the days they are working from home, just a few hours in the afternoon is our plan. That also gives me a chance to make some leggings and tops for a granddaughter since I'm over there frequently for trying things on. Stay tuned as sewing machines are repaired and items are getting cranked out on those same machines; I know of few better ways to spend my time!


1 comment:

BarbaraShowell said...

The raincoat looks so nice! I do hope your next one is more flexible and just as nice!