Sunday, November 17, 2019

Sewing Machine Spotting

It's deer hunting season here in Minnesota and I just had to accept it when I moved here and embrace it when I married a hunter/fisherman a decade ago. While he was going to be out in the cold I decided to visit my friend in Arizona. Knowing I had missed our vacation a few years ago due to his kidney stones, my husband gave me gift cards for Delta last Christmas just so I could visit Cathy this year. We got it all arranged and I took off in six degree weather in Minneapolis on Tuesday and flew into seventy degree weather a few hours later. It was heaven!
Left is Arizona temp of 70 and right is 6 degrees as I left Minnesota
Among the usual pool time, favorite pizza and ice cream shops, we took in Scottsdale's Canal Convergence water and light festival. Great fun to see how water is important to the desert and making it fun with lights and music. We also went to the Scottsdale Museum of the West for a Barry Goldwater exhibit of his photography. Before we got to his terrific display we took in the work of Maynard Dixon. As we wandered around I found this line drawing:
Maynard Dixon's sister at the sewing machine
Leave it to a true sewist to find a sewing machine everywhere they go! All in all, it was a wonderful get-away with sun, extra sleep, great conversation, and love of a dear friend.

Coming back to 38 degrees wasn't as hard as I thought but the question came up about getting both cars back into the garage since snow is coming. Before I left I got the summer furniture up in the garage attic with the help of a daughter but now we have the returned the snow blower to it's rightful spot and need to get the sewing machine cabinets out of the way. While I was gone I got an email about the Singer 27 in a drawing room cabinet:
Singer 27 in drawing room cabinet
and the calls have been coming in for the rest of them! How great is that? Here's the garage on Sunday at noon:
Waiting for their buyers this afternoon
Tom and Freeman both came at the same time but it was a fruitful session with two collectors/sellers. Now the Singer 12 in the house is gone and the Singer 27 is in a new home. While checking everything out Freeman asked about the Singer 301 cabinet and then it was gone, too. Three machines in one hour! I nearly cried because now there's only two left, one empty cabinet, and hopes of getting the cars inside before the snow. Here's how the garage looks now, waiting for the Bernina 730 to be sold tomorrow:
After three more gone
Good to have a warm vacation and rest, good to be home again, too. Now, what's my next project? I think I'm making legging for a seven year old granddaughter!


3 comments:

Linnea said...

I also enjoy the older machines and today picked up an Elna lock pro5 DC. At a glance it definitly needs cleaning and two of the spool holders on the right side are snapped off at the base. Can you recommend a replacement supplier for those 2 spool holders? Thanks-Linnea

Karen said...

I just checked eBay and there is one for sale; take a look?

lucy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.