Sunday, July 14, 2019

Keep on Learning

Some people scoff at the phrase "lifelong learners" but I really believe in the concept of learning new things as long as we live. My late in life obsession with sewing machines has nearly transformed my life (and my house) giving me many new friends, an occupation in my retirement, and a worthy place for my mind to travel to. All that is a prelude to those pesky Pfaff 1222's that I cannot fix! The one that's only running in reverse is my current project and hoping I could take one more look to see if it's the buttonhole mechanism that is stuck, is now going back home. I can hardly blame the owner but it feels like such a failure; she bought another one and her husband wants to take a look at her original machine again. It's getting picked up today and another machine is getting dropped off: a treadle!

Now we are back into treadles and it came about when I found a model 22 cabinet reasonably priced and not too far away. It was a fun texting conversation when I asked if the treadle mechanism was still inside and she said "What would that look like?" As it turns out, there not only was a full treadle mechanism inside, there was a Singer 66 sewing machine, too. Since it had been in their family I tried to convince her to keep it and I would even show her how to use it but they were moving and there would be no room for this cabinet as a TV stand. Yes, that's the most popular use of old treadle stands. We got it home and when I went to use it there was resistance as I treadled. Was it the treadle or the sewing machine? I took the metal spring belt off (those are so cool!)
Treadle belt in spring style steel

to find it was a problem with the sewing machine so I came inside with me. After cleaning and oiling several times it still wasn't smooth but I took it back outside to the garage hoping it might get past the problem as it was treadled. Nope, it was still sticking at some point. It was late and I went to bed, hoping for better results in the morning.
Singer 66 in treadle cabinet with steel spring belt
Never underestimate to power of walking away when you can't figure something out: it worked fine in the morning. No kidding, it was smooth, made a nice stitch, action of the treadle was fairly effortless. I'm going to have a harder time selling this one when it is just so nice. Actually, that's not entirely true because now I'm looking for a Singer 66 Red Eye for this awesome cabinet.
Drawing room cabinet similar to Singer #22

In the meantime I get a call from Jane saying Bob can drop off a treadle today. We have been working on getting this one from Bob's garage to mine for several years and today is the day. Here's what she looks like:
New Home treadle with missing drawers
I think I have some work to do on this one. We had to concede to leave one of the cars out of the garage for the duration of the summer (and into fall) so I can get the cabinets ready for sale, something that happens each summer, but I have been very careful about bringing cabinet models home. Here's what it looked like for most of the winter:
Yes, that's a Bernina cabinet stacked on top
We are getting ready for a garage sale and those cabinets will still be here so I bet there will be For Sale signs on them, too. I've got my work cut out for me!

No comments: