Monday, December 18, 2017

Up North

Our fun weekend up on the Gunflint Trail was a great success with wonderful food, snappy cold weather (what did we think we would get along the Canadian border?), and warm accommodations but there was also a sewing machine adventure. On Friday I was up early and while getting ready to go I thought I'd check the Craigslist ads for Duluth just in case there was a sewing machine for sale that I shouldn't miss. Of course, there was: if you seek you will find! A Bernina 931 had been posted less than a day for a reasonable cost so I sent the seller a message. Patty was available for us to stop on our way up so we got her address, finished packing up, and were on our way.

I was warned that Patty might shed a tear while she let this final Bernina sewing machine go but she wasn't using it anymore so it needed a new home. Since she was a professional dressmaker and also made wearable art, I was as interested in her studio as in her other sewing machines. There was a large professional Juki and an industrial serger right in front of the sunny windows in her basement studio along with bolts of fabric and a sets of drawers for all kinds of needful things. My husband pointed out the large collection of thread on a wall and I noted the large curtained area as her dressing room. Impressive! Here's what we came to see:
Bernina 931 Sewing Machine
The ad stated it was used and Patty pointed out the spots where the finish was worn down or off but she assured me she kept all of her machines maintained and I could see that. The 931 has some electronic parts but it is not computerized and had not aged out and it was a Bernina! It came with all you could want: power cords, extension table, lever for presser foot knee lift, original manual and box of accessories plus I could purchase a walking foot and eyelet kit. Why not? If only it came in the nifty carrying case it would have been complete but this will have to do. Here are a few photos of the goodies:
Walking foot

Eyelet set

Accessory box
It came with a dozen feet and about 15 original Bernina bobbins but Patty also asked if I could use any extra class 15 bobbins since this was her last sewing machine with class 15's. Why not, I said again, so she dumped the lot into the bag. On our way north I read the manual but then wanted to put it behind me and enjoy the weekend without sewing. On the way back the extension table was rattling so I pulled it out and checked out those bobbins and the accessory box. There were 47 class 15 bobbins! I can put those to very good use and can't wait to sew on this baby. The Bernina 931 might not have all of the stitch selection of some of the other models but it does have stretch stitches that are very handy when sewing knits. This was a very utilitarian model with almost no decorative stitches unless you count the scallop stitch but what a nice machine that will do about 80% of your sewing.

I didn't see Patty shed a tear but we didn't linger and make it any harder than it needed to be. I'm going to have fun with this Bernina as it will take the space where i currently have a Bernina 730 Record. With the holidays upon us, there will a nice uptick in sales so I better get busy and have them show-room ready!

No comments: