Monday, October 9, 2017

Willing To Learn

Some of my blog posts aren't about sewing machines and this is one of them so if you want to read about vintage sewing machines...take a pass on this post. It is about learning and that whole "lifelong learner" stuff we read about and sometimes roll our eyes when we hear about it but it is true: we need to keep learning to be relevant, interesting, and interested in the world around us. My foray into new learning was "Power Tools for Women", a class I have wanted to take for a long time but always worked on the evenings it was offered. A change in schedule last spring has opened up my schedule to now be able to take this community ed. offer and was it ever fun! Here's how it looked on the first night of class:
Squaring up the frames with the help of our instructor
With only two classes of 2.5 hours we needed to get right into it so our instructor showed us the power tools we were going to use, basic instructions, and we were off and running! Well, no running in the middle school industrial tool shop, but working hard and helping each other. There were ten of us in a broad spectrum of ages with different purposes in mind, but we all wanted to learn how to use these powerful and scary machines with safety and purpose.
Busy in the wood shop on the first night of class
 The first night we made a picture frame out of an eight foot board of clear pine. I learned how to use a miter saw, router, pocket hole jig, impact drill, and cordless drill. Since I had previously used drills, the last three on the list were no problem but it was the power saws that terrified me. They were all table models so that provided stability and along with instruction and encouragement from the teacher and other women I learned to conquer my fear. Everyone pitched in to clean up and we were ready to leave ahead of the class ending time. Here's what I made:
My first frame: 16 by 16 in pine, before routed outside edge
If we wanted to put a routed edge on the frame, just bring it back to the second class session and we would add that nice feature. I brought mine back, as did everyone else, for the nice scoop edge. We spent this second class session on making a small step stool using power table saws, drills, jigsaws, and a few different sanders.
Instructions on making the step stool: we are all attentive!
 It was even more fun and everyone showed confidence in using the tools. We talked with each other about why we wanted to learn to use power tools and most said they already had tools but no one to teach them. One woman wanted to replace her deck next summer so needed to know how to use the tools of the trade. I thought that was ambitious but I think she can do it! Here we are with our finished projects:
Fall 2017 Power Tools for Women Class
There is a second class, Power Tools for Women Advanced, where they make a 24" tall side table in oak that many of the women signed up for but I have a conflict so will not be taking it this fall. It is possible I will not be taking it at all because the instructor is going to open his own shop in the spring and thought he would have open Saturday's. That would mean for a small fee we could work in his shop where he would be in attendance and we could make anything we had the skills to accomplish. Can we spell s-e-w-i-n-g  m-a-c-h-i-n-e  b-o-x-e-s? YES! I learned a new skill(s) and can put them to use relatively soon so this is a win-win for me and I think everyone in the class. Here's a look at the basic step stool I made, the current pride of my heart:
Ain't she sweet? My very own step stool!
You never know if you can do it until you try so go out there and try something new, something you have been toying with in your mind. It's time to put your hopes into action!

No comments: