Thursday, October 10, 2019

Team Spirit

Minnesota seems unique to me in their adoration of their sports teams even when they under-perform. I'm from Chicago where there have been great teams and years for the Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, White Socks, and Cubs: there was something to be proud of. Alas, Minnesota continues to be disappointed with the Vikings and even the Twins give reason for angst. But, If I'm to market my hot mitts to a wide variety of people I must include sports and their teams so I'm busy making them out of fabric that has Twins and Vikings logos on them.

After adding over a hundred hot mitts in a variety of colors, I checked my stock of sports teams to find no Twins, four Vikings, many Packers, a few Timberwolves, Wild, and Gophers. I had to get busy and sew up some Vikings since we would still be in football season during the craft sales, and since there are diehard fans I even had to buy more Twins fabric:
Left: newer logos waiting for binding, Right: traditional
Just to be generic enough to include many teams, I had some fabric with NFL teams so I added some football fabric to make these:
NFL on white with footballs on black for inside and binding
They sew together so nicely but since I've made hundreds I've got the process down pretty good. This is the second year of using the Bernina 217 industrial sewing machine and I really like her. It's all set up for the heavy layers for the hot mitts and I'm not certain enough of my skills to try and adjust it for two layers of cotton.Besides, don't I have at least one other sewing machine I can use for light weight sewing? I think so.

With my first craft fair only 10 days away, I need to get going on baby booties and cobbler aprons. I got distracted by all those sewing machines from the River Rats TOGA but for now I need to ignore them and get cutting and sewing!
Bin with many of the new hot mitts

1 comment:

Karen said...

Please do not leave comments that are promoting your own products. They will be deleted.