Sunday, May 26, 2019

Free and No-So-Free

Last week I got a call from a friend asking if I wanted another free sewing machine. Of course I said yes because he hadn't sent over anything I couldn't handle... yet. Besides, if I couldn't fix it I knew what to do with it (parts, etc.). When it gets dropped off, here's what I see:
Table has seen better days!
Oh my, that's a pretty scratched up surface. Inside is a Japanese built JA-13 sewing machine, badged Universal, model KAT, that is dirty but the hand wheel turns so there is hope. Last night I was itching to get a look at it so I pulled the head out of the table and brought her inside. She is one dirty bird:
This photo doesn't do it justice but, trust me, this was grimy
Surface dirt is usually no problem so I take a look inside to find the bobbin case, hook, and ring all covered in a sticky substance. Although I'm not sure what was used, you can bet it was some type of oil that has now congealed into a sticky mess. Thank goodness sewing machine oil cleaned it right up and from there I see there are only a few other parts that got this treatment. Most of it is just dirt that is easily cleaned off with sewing machine oil. Everything is moving really nice until I check the feed dog drop:
Angled rod with bullet on end manages the feed dogs dropping
They don't drop. I work and work on them but I can't get them to move. The bullet and the arm are removed, cleaned further, manipulated, put back together, still no dropping. The hair dryer comes out and with heat applied I finally get movement but not what I need to call this fixed. I give up for now and put things back together but now when I start it up it binds. What? After another hour of adjustments and trying to find exactly where it is catching I have to walk away. Maybe tomorrow I will have a flash of insight.

While this sewing machine was free, I got a package from Missouri Star Quilters that was not free but a pretty good deal. Their enticement emails come on a daily basis and this time I fell prey to one of their deals: Amy Butler designs in a fat quarter bundle and a 10" square stack:
Surprise! Even a free template
They are gorgeous! The 10" squares are repeated so there are 23 different designs for a total of 42 squares but that makes it better for quilting projects. What are my plans? Let's just look at them for now and dream.

Last weekend I picked up a quilt kit from someone in my neck of the woods that I saw advertised and just loved the colors:
Leaf fabric has gold outlines for a rich quality
No plans to make it soon but looks like a nice fall into winter project. Who wants to sew fall colors when it's barely spring? Come September when I'm back with the quilters up north I will love having this project to work on. If I can add more colors to the borders to make it larger, that will be a plus.

Update: I went back to the Universal sewing machine last night and finally tried six different hooks until I found one that didn't rub.
If I only had an arrow to show which part is the hook!
 Everything got adjusted again and now she's sewing fine. It's not as quiet as a sewing machine like this can be but I think with a little TLC on the table and someone might find a decent mechanical machine at a bargain price!
Universal JA-13, model KAT

Stitch sample shows some skipped stitches so maybe it needs a new needle but not too bad for first try
She also comes with a nice set of accessories and the original manual. In the bottom of the accessory manual I found the original bill of sale from 1969: $195 plus tax in Minneapolis. What a deal!

4 comments:

NormanRClemmer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
NatFlan said...

First time reader here...as well as your newest loyal reader in the making. I found your page while searching google for any tips, tricks, advice on a Universal Kat in which I inherited from my Grandfathers estate some years ago and have just decided to break this thing out and put it to work. It obviously was in great running condition, as it still had a half finished set of curtains still in the machine.But as a sewing newbie I am only familiar with the cute little portable Dressmaker 1100H that I am still learning with. I will be following your page and maybe build a friendship or two along the way.

Karen said...

I'm so glad you brought your grandfather's sewing machine out of deep storage. Yes, you should be sewing on it and I think you will enjoy sewing much more when using a solid machine like the Universal KAT than a modern portable you have been using. Let me know of your progress!