Tuesday, February 12, 2019

On Display

I love to stumble upon sewing machines that are shown to be of value as I value them.  In December I stopped by my public library and found a display of toy sewing machines, mostly antique:

but a few are vintage:

and even an American Girl doll gets into the collection:

Can she sew?
I commend the library for having such a nice built in display space that you cannot help but notice as you walk into the library. The cabinets are about waist height so perfect for a child to see. They keep the displays up for only a few weeks so you better enjoy them when you see them because they will be gone before your books are due!

I have a few toy sewing machines but I find them less than satisfying because they really weren't meant to do any serious sewing on them. The exception might be the beige model in the photo above that I've heard several people comment on using them as a travel machine where they piece quilts. I like my little hand crank Harris but it's fairly heavy and not exactly a lap machine. Maybe an aluminum body machine would be a nice addition if you were traveling across the country in an RV.

This needs to be a shorter post this week as we have said our final goodbye to my husband's mother, Mary Dubay. You might have read about the dresses I made for her and the delight in seeing her in a fancy dress for some of the many weddings we were at together. She was always cheerful, enjoying life in her own Irish way. We will certainly miss her laughter and devotion.
Marie, Rose, Mary, and Karen, 2013

No comments: