Sunday, July 1, 2018

Timing

I apologize in advance for those who come to this post wanting information about how to time a sewing machine because this post is not going to help you. Today I'm going to write about how so much of life is being in the right place at the right time. Yesterday was just such a day!

After the fishing trip my husband had hernia surgery scheduled so we are home for a long weekend and he is using ice packs and moving slowly while I'm keeping track of medication and filling or freezing ice packs. The type with the gel beads that can be frozen are the best since they are flexible and can be wiped off or placed in a towel. That gives me an idea of making a sleeve for the ice pack instead of trying to work with a towel. Next project!

It has also been beastly hot here with heat warnings so we are staying inside and I'm working on sewing machines and projects while my patient sleeps. But it isn't all quiet here as I run out to the store for the gel ice pack I stop in at the local thrift shop and take a few photos of fabric that have words on them. Daughter gives a big thumbs up so I return the next day and find they are having a sale so I just have to stock up:

From cotton knit to flannel to quilting cottons
In the meantime I find a Bernina listed locally at a drop dead price (yes, I almost dropped dead in my tracks when I saw it) so I dashed home, checked on my patient, ate a quick lunch and dashed over for the Bernina before she changed her mind:
Bernina Record 830
On my way home I stopped at a garage sale on the next block and spied a box of fabric with a sign asking to name my price. I asked how much for the whole box and she said "How about $5?" and it was in my car in the next thirty seconds. Once I got home and actually looked at what I had I was dumbfounded:
Innocent looking box of fabric...
I started to sort and laid them out by types of fabric to find all of this:
Flannel and a few knits for kids
Quilting cottons!
Minky (floral on left) and plaid flannel
Some were considerable yardage, a few were only fat quarters, but all were usable. There was even a shipping package with five yards of burlap, never used from an online fabric store so I have plans for that yardage, too.  It wasn't the motherload but it was a great find for a real deal.

On Facebook I mentioned on someone's post about young people learning to be self-sufficient and there were comments about sewing but that sewing machines and fabrics being so expensive. Of course they are...if you buy new and are very particular. If you are just wanting to try it out and see if you might like sewing you can buy a vintage sewing machine and buy fabric at resale shops, garage sales, and rummage sales. There are even free deals out there if you keep your eyes open but it is all about timing. How did I get the Bernina? I responded in the first 15 minutes to the ad and then I showed up quickly and on time. I buy fabric from all over the place, including regular fabric stores, but I rarely pay full price and wait for deals. It can be quite serendipitous but when you love what you do it is part of the fun, too.

Once home and with fabric sorted and cleaned, I worked on the Bernina to get everything cleaned up and working well. It had been well maintained with only minimal fuzz and working great. The carrying case and the accessory box needed the most cleaning but with my brand of "detailing" they look to be in excellent vintage condition:
Bernina Record 830 accessory box
Another Etsy order for a set of sewing machine case straps in hot pink were sewn on this baby and she just purred. With a holiday coming up, and it promises to be a hot one, I'm planning on staying home and tackling a few more of those projects. I promise, a treadle post is coming up...soon!

No comments: