Friday, April 13, 2018

Postponed!

It's that time of year again for the Textile Center Garage Sale but we fear the weather is going to put a real damper on the whole shebang. Along with gathering up my donations of fabric, patterns, and miscellaneous items (doll hair and eyes?) I signed up to volunteer during the setup time. In the past I have worked at the registration table, sorting fabric, and books so this year I worked with the patterns and I have to say it was overwhelming. Along with having boxes and boxes to sort, we really did not have the space to display the boxes in a single layer but it was only the first day of setting up so I hope they find more table space somewhere, somehow. But it was still exciting!

As I went through the boxes of sewing patterns, it was fun to see the organization of those who donated. There would be a group of children's patterns from the '90's, vintage Vogue, then modern Burda all in the same box, probably from the same donor. When a nest of vintage was found I was always excited and found the following that reminded me of my sewing days in high school:
Dresses I remember making, dated 1967

There were a few I had to get for my granddaughter, Emma, who loves to wear swimsuits all summer long and is now in gymnastics:
Little girl slips, dancewear, and swimsuits
For our Maker-Space at work, I bought a few patterns they might be interested in sharing. There has been a bowtie project so I could hardly resist another pattern that could easily be traced repeatedly so KwikSew was a logical choice.

Along with the patterns I had to pop over to check out the fabric and came home with a small pile for only $10:
From the blue knit to the red/brown cotton, all good deals
The royal blue knit is two-way stretch so I see leggings in the future but it's also my favorite color, or at least everyone tells me I look great in royal blue. The tan and brown cottons were bought with the Block-of-the-Month project in mind but I don't think I will use them for it but they are still very nice fabrics. The reddish brown yardage is a Robert Kaufman and was only $5 for four yards: how could I pass that up?
Trying out the tan and brown as possible choices for the BOM project
Even if this spring blizzard does keep us from shopping on Saturday, I have already found some great bargains. My friends and I will miss getting together for it but we will not risk our lives during a known ice storm/blizzard just for a bargain. Well, that's what we say. Here's a final set of patterns that I just couldn't resist:

Men's shirt pattern from 1961, aprons not dated, and super hero from 1978
As it turns out, before I could even get this posted, the big, big sale was postponed until the next Saturday, April 21. That means my friends will not be able to go next weekend and I do not think I'll be able to either so I'm doubly glad I shopped after my volunteer time. Who know what I might have missed? I have to tell myself  "Walk away, just walk away..."

No comments: