Thursday, July 16, 2020

Sew and So

Ah, my blog reading friends, I have neglected you. I think of you and write loving messages in my head but they can't seem to get onto the computer for me to share. Today is catch-up day and hopes for a more prolific blog writing future ahead of me.

I have been sewing! Men's shirts, women's dresses, tank tops, and all kinds of things in between. It's also that time of year when the cars are out of the garage and it's starting to fill with cabinets. Due to the hot weather we have been having, I have been happy to stay in the basement where it is cool and my sewing room is all ready for me. Since it has been so hot I have found myself in need to a few new tops to keep cool so I looked through my fabric and patterns to come up with some combinations I would like to try and, hopefully, wear. Up first is a dress pattern from my daughter, Kelly, and I even have the dress she made from it. I absolutely love the dress because it's so simple and the fabric feels so lush. There was a rather dull blue knit I was hoping to use, and enough of it, but it was just a bit too thin to make a dress. How could I make it a bit heavier so there would drape better? How about a thin lining: with a knit this can be tricky so as I checked over my fabrics I found a knit filmy kind of fabric that wouldn't be good for much else. I used it as an interlining, matching it up to the outer fabric and treating it as one piece.
Inside showing knit lining

It went together beautifully but it wasn't going to be as comfortable in the summer heat as a single layer. Loved the look and figured it would be a nice casual summer dress:

McCalls 6074
With one success behind me, I decided to use a cute KwikSew 3225 pattern I've been admiring. Checking PatternReview.com there were several who made it up and suggested the top was cut too low under the arm and the top was "baggy". I had several fabric to try this on and just barely fit the pieces on a pink knit: perfect since I had no idea what else I would make with this fabric. It was a bit confusing and I ended up sewing the lies onto the front section instead of the back but I could reverse that and muttle along:
Dress folded down with ties coming to the front

front of dress to show how back folds down

Dress assembled

See what I mean? The back of the dress folds down and ties in the front. I cut the bodice in a size small and then added an inch or so to the underarm section to avoid the problems others had. It worked! The skirt I left as a medium so, all in all, it turned out cute, very comfortable due to the soft knit, so I decided I would make it again. This time I'm using a puckered/seersucker gingham in red and white. Photos may be coming soon!

Which sewing machines did I use? For both of them I used a serger as much as I could, dragging out a Pfaff for the coverstitch hem. Then I found a Huskylock 936 serger, one of the all-time classic models that has gotten rave reviews. It was all set up for coverstitch and I did get it to work with much work and help from the Facebook group. Since it came with no accessories that means it also didn't have a regular presser foot or needle plate so I'll have to cough up for those if it's to be used as a regular serger, too. I've made an agreement with myself: if it makes a more consistent coverstitch I will sell the Pfaff and keep the Huskylock. That's a big "if" for me!

So I'm also wondering why I'm making dresses since I'm working from home but sometimes it's just fun to have a new summer dress. Besides, at the end of July I will officially retire from my job as a librarian. That's right, it's quite official, July 24 is my last day of work and the following week, while still employed, I'm having cataract surgery on both eyes, first the right and 4 days later the left. That's all to warn you that I won't be doing much of anything for a week or more but I won't need glasses when I'm done and should see much clearer.

And did you read that correctly? I WILL BE RETIRED STARTING AUGUST 1. Not too excited,can you tell? but just ready to spend more time with my sewing machines and you, my blog friends.
Hey, hey! New dress, new life!




3 comments:

cala said...

Glad to have you back! Great new dress!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sajjad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.