Saturday, July 18, 2020

It's for your money, honey.

At Christmas time, my church has a craft and bake sale on the Sunday of the children's program so this is a time for me to give back. In the past, I've donated items from my craft sale booth and slippers I have knit up just for the church sale. A couple years ago I bought a wallet made by our church secretary, Teri, that I have grown to love. Although I keep telling myself I can make up a wallet myself I never seem to get around to it. To purchase one from Teri to benefit our children and women's programs seemed like a good idea. By now I have worn it out and finally spilled something on it that did not wash out. No more excuses, I'm going to make my own!

There are so many patterns for wallets, it was hard to decide but I came upon one that had so many card slots it seemed perfect. In case you would like to try this, it's the So Sew Easy Ultimate Wallet.  I wanted the fabric to be cute but also sturdy, not necessarily washable, but maybe cleanupable (you heard that word here first). Although I didn't take photos along the way, here's how it turned out:
Opening for paper money only goes as deep as a dollar bill

Center zippered coin/change compartment


Red dot fabric for coin purse has card slots on both sides

Both sides of coin purse have slots as well as left and right sides


Closed with large flap

I haven't added the magnetic closure to the outside flap yet and not sure it needs it. Inside, under the print fabric of ladies shoes, there are compartments for anything else that's not card size. I found out I don't have enough cards for all of the slots, quite a shock since it always seemed to be a problem. If I made it again, and I just might, I don't think I would add all of the card slots on the coin purse as it does make the whole thing fatter. In using it I found it was firmer than my "Teri Wallet" but I'm overwhelmed with all of the card slots and can't always find what I'm looking for! With 28 card slots that's a lot of cards but I'm thinking I will settle into it.

Which sewing machine did I use? My Husqvarna Viking Designer 1 for most of it and the really thick parts I have my Singer 31-15 as back up. As the commercial says "What's in your wallet?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.