Sunday, January 31, 2021

More Vintage Linen

 Picking up on the last post about using tablecloths, I seem to be on a roll and can't stop sewing up those vintage linens. I went into a huge storage container at the bottom of the pile to see all of the linen I've collected. Some got washed, pressed, photographed, and made ready for my Etsy shop. Others had stains or even holes so I have earmarked them for porch pillows. I then worked on making summer tops out of two of them in better shape. Here's a very fancy top sheet that was probably never even used it was so pristine:

Bed sheet?
The embroidery was only along one edge so that was my conclusion. I went with a sleeveless shirt pattern and put the fancy work at the bottom
Decorative edge extends on the back also
I like it but it seemed like it was a long way from the top of the decoration to the neckline so I added a row of stitches
Embroidery stitches using light gray embroidery thread
What machine did I use for this nearly perfect stitch? My Bernina Record 730, of course. Now I'm happy with it. Next up was a cross stitch tablecloth that reminded me of a little shirt my daughter Kelly wore when she was only five years old. I didn't trust myself to make up a peasant blouse pattern although there are free ones online. Here's what I came up with using a commercial pattern:

I couldn't fit the long sleeves onto the tablecloth so I tried elbow length sleeves with the scalloped edge of the tablecloth at the bottom. It worked great so I went with that rolled hem edge for the hem of the shirt, too. As it turns out, not every serger can make a decent rolled hem (I tried three) and I finally had to pull out a Simplicity tiny three thread serger to get the best rolled hem. I leave that one set up for rolled hem only!

While looking for the sergers, I had to check out a shelf that had some old White treadle heads. I know I'm not going to be using them so I bit the bullet and listed all three for sale: I got two calls for buying all three! Dwayne came down yesterday and picked them up, telling me he refurbishes and sells them to the local Amish community. We then had a bit of discussion if I would have others without motors and I just might have to take him up on that. I would love to see some of these machines go to good homes and sometimes a motor is the only thing that holds them back. Dwayne might be my next best friend.

Everyone is sewing and buying sewing machines with cold weather and indoor activities at an all-time high. Some sell as soon as they get posted, other linger but are just as worthy. They are all my friends, but some just a little lower on the list. 

Keep calm and sew on.



3 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I enjoyed seeing your tops on the TOGA yesterday. I wish Dwayne lived closer to me. I have several machines that need to find new homes.

CC-JGS said...

What does “TOGA” mean in this context? Thanks!

Karen said...

A TOGA is a Treadleon acronym for a gathering of people powered machines and their owners. In Minnesota we have an annual "convention" in Lake City in the fall but with the pandemic we have opted to have a virtual meeting this year. It was such a big hit in September we had another one with two classes taught just last Saturday. It's even more fun, or at least we can reach a larger crowd virtually, when one of our very esteemed members from the UK taught a class on sewing machine tension. Thanks Helen, for your great presentation!