Wednesday, December 2, 2020

A Prize Inside

 Remember the boxes of Cracker Jacks, a peanut and caramel corn mix in a box "with a prize inside"? Despite the trivial nature of the prize, I always got sucked into their advertising in the hope of finding something special. Nowadays I prefer a better quality caramel corn than Cracker Jacks but I continue to be thrilled when there is some kind of a hidden prize. Today I have to share with you a New Home sewing machine with a hidden prize inside.

The New Home Travel Mate was up for auction but didn't come with a foot control. Sometimes that is no problem, just an added expense, but if the parts are unique you can get into trouble. If you can't find it you end up with a real boat anchor! I stuck my neck out and hoped I could get one but while checking out parts I was skeptical the right one was being advertised to fit this model. But I got the bid, picked it up, and dashed home:

What's inside? How does this come off?
I couldn't figure out how to get the plexiglass cover off! It sorta pries off with small slots in the front and back. It needed a bit of cleaning but first I wanted to see what all was in the storage compartment in front. It had a nice set of snap on presser feet and extra needles, always welcome, but when you take the compartment off so you can sew free arm, there was a surprise:
Storage compartment pulls off to reveal more storage
Oh, be still my beating heart: there was the foot control, all snug in the compartment!
Foot control hidden away (is this a secret?)

I pulled it out and checked the plug end to find it was very unique
Three pin plug foot control
I did suspect, since it was promoted as a portable travel sewing machine, it might have attachments or foot controls built into a sliding out drawer under the machine or somewhere else and this time I was right. How cool was that?

A sewing machine is nothing if it cannot sew but it does sew very nicely. On the front of the machine it boasts "Micro Computer" and it does sound and run like an electronic sewing machine. It has the typical variety of stitches and even a needle threader. All it is missing is a needle up/down feature but does have a speed control lever as a little extra feature. Zigzag stitches are given in three levels so no dial for incremental increase in width but I can live with that, too.

Selection of stitches, speed control, and what's under the top lid

It is a really nice portable sewing machine! My risk paid off this time but I know it could have easily gone the other way and I would have to buy that 3-pin foot control for $40. Still not a bad deal but one I now don't have to deal with. 

As the fall decorations are getting boxed up and we head into Christmas, I better get hustling here or we will not get anything ready beyond the outside lights. A Christmas newsletter needs to be written, presents are only about a third purchased, and here I am writing to you about my latest sewing machine. Yes, this is the land of the sewing machine obsessed but I know I'm in good company!

New Home Travel Mate CE2200




4 comments:

BarbaraShowell said...

I don’t know that I would have recognized that as a sewing machine!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Woohoo! Glad the foot control was hidden in the machine. Nice find.

CC-JGS said...

Isn't that a such a good feeling? Sweet little machine.

CC-JGS said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.