Monday, August 12, 2019

Old Friends

To say this has been a busy summer would be an understatement but here we are, partway through August and I'm wondering where the summer went. I never get enough time to sew or work on sewing machines let alone enjoy our marvelous weather in Minnesota during these months. But this year I had a very good reason to be busy because I have been taking care of my aunt in Iowa. The adventure began last spring when a series of events indicated my aunt was having some dementia and making poor decisions. That lead to a visit from a social worker who was an angel with so much help and resources for us to call upon. A doctor's visit, a hospital stay, recuperation and evaluation in a nursing home indicated her dementia was quite advanced. She could no longer live alone at home, the lovely home her husband built for them 58 years ago. She was only in the nursing home for three months when she passed away peacefully.

Gone are the plans to make up last quilt blocks she started for a flower garden quilt into a lap quilt, but I have been going through her craft dresser and found patterns and supplies for some of her favorite contributions to the church craft bazaar. Iron-on transfers for flour sack dishtowels, yarn for plastic canvas coasters and bookmarks, remnants from crewel kits (what do you do with the leftovers when you are done?) as well as neat stacks for fabrics, less than half a drawerful, for future quilts. She was pretty organized but I suspect she had not been able to sew for the last five years due to her dementia. The ability to judge spacial arrangement and distance can be affected and for her that was true. This keeps you from driving, too, since you cannot always tell where you are on the road.

This is a final tribute to my aunt Marcella who taught me that even a quiet life can be meaningful, contain joy in little accomplishments, and it's always right to love your family with a fierce love that doesn't give up.
Karen and Marcella, May 14, 2019

2 comments:

cala said...

Thank you.....beautiful post. I've been there. I love your blog; please post more often!

BarbaraShowell said...

I’m sorry for your loss. Small lives can indeed have big impact.